   Re: Back to XObjects was XLink - where a

  • From: David Brownell <db@Eng.Sun.COM>
  • To: James.Anderson@mecomnet.de
  • Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:55:39 -0800

James -- I see you accept the point that the problem isn't that
simple.  However, there's also the implied one that different
folk need different answers.  The answers I would have given to
those questions are not the ones you gave.  Different assumptions
can lead to a need for different answers.  A base mechanism must
be a bit more flexible than that.

- Dave

james anderson wrote:

> David Brownell wrote:
> >
> > Graham Moore wrote:
> > >
> > > Eliot wrote

> > > The functional binding / class => element could be done as a default. Look
> > > in the location where the document was acquired from using the element name
> > > as the class name. It would just work, with no additional configuration
> > > files. If no class exists then the node is just a node.
> >
> > That doesn't seem sufficient to me.  What's the package name?
>
> a mapping from the namespace name. (java packages may require an intermediate)

Assumes there's a namespace name.

> > What about classes that should represent multiple element types?
>
> specialize the class appropriately

Assumes creating a class is zero cost, and doesn't accomodate open
ended sets of element types.

> > What about the different semantics associated with different namespaces?
>
> that's what packages are for.

Assumes folk don't have common semantics in different namepaces.

> > Suppose you want the element and class names to be different, perhaps because
> > you and your users work with different natural languages?
>
> support an architectural attribute, with appropriate defaults in the
> attribute definitions.

Assumes the folk defining the mappings are the ones defining the
attributes.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)