   Re: Stylesheets considered limiting (was Re: XLink - where are we?)

  • From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@dns.isogen.com>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Nov 1998 08:21:46 -0600

At 11:46 PM 11/12/98 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>At 04:23 PM 11/12/98 -0500, John Cowan wrote:
>>W. Eliot Kimber scripsit:
>>
>>> [D]ata
>>> entities is the only feature of SGML not provided by XML that also has
>>> significant *semantic* utility (as opposed to being a syntactic
convenience
>>> like markup minimization or the LINK feature) [...]
>>
>>And can you enlighten those of us who don't know SGML about
>>the semantics of data entities?  Thanks.

I meant to write "data attributes is the only feature of SGML..." and
didn't notice the mistake even when the question above was asked. I
answered the question I thought was being asked (that is, the question that
would have been asked had I not mistyped).  Of course, XML has data
entities, it just calls them "unparsed entities".  In SGML, data entities
may have data attributes, in XML they may not.

My appologies for any confusion this may have caused.

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)