   Re: Serializations and data structures (was Re: Topic Maps on SQL)

  • From: Geir Ove Grĝnmo <grove@infotek.no>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: 25 Nov 1998 10:44:44 +0100

* Paul Prescod
|  * the grove is not the data model to end all data models. It is merely
| the foundational model for data from the SGML family of standards. It
| makes perfect sense to abstract over that and build Python lists or Java
| iterators or a whole other semantic level. If you encode a programming
| language in XML, then of course you want a data structure that represents
| functions, parameters and classes directly. That may or may not be best
| described as a grove.

Has anyone created an XML property set yet? I recall reading at some
point that someone were working on this, but I've not seen any results
from that yet. If so, where can it be found?

The task of the newly formed XML Information Set Working Group seem to be
similar to the solution provided by property sets and groves. Could
anyone comment on the chances of the WG synchronizing its effort to the
SGML property set?

Excerpts from the XML Activity statement:

| XML Information Set Working Group
|
|  The XML 1.0 Recommendation describes the physical
|  representation of XML documents: the use of brackets, character strings
|  and other "nuts and bolts" which make up the language. The Information
|  Set Working Group is looking at more abstract descriptions of XML
|  documents in terms of document tree structures, elements, their
|  attribute lists and so on. The idea is to provide a common reference set
|  that other specifications can use and extend to construct their
|  underlying data models, thus helping to ensure interoperability among
|  the various XML-based specifications and among XML software tools in
|  general.

Geir O.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest