   Re: Serializations and data structures (was Re: Topic Maps on SQL)

  • From: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@dns.isogen.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 09:18:34 -0600

At 10:44 AM 11/25/98 +0100, Geir Ove Grønmo wrote:

>Has anyone created an XML property set yet? I recall reading at some
>point that someone were working on this, but I've not seen any results
>from that yet. If so, where can it be found?

Assuming that you don't accept a grove plan over the existing SGML property
set as the XML property set...

Alex Milowski was supposed to be working on it, but never published it (I
suspect his job duties overwhelmed him).

As XML documents are SGML documents, they can, of course, be represented
using the existing SGML property set. However, it is probably of
significant value to produce a new property set that leaves out all the
stuff XML doesn't need and adds additional properties that reflect
XML-specific semantics, such as name space mappings, PI targets, and the
like.  This will make the property set much easier for the XMl audience to
understand.  But the result should be consistent with the SGML property
set.  In particular, life will be much easier for everyone if a location
address applied to an XML document grove or an SGML document grove will
return the same result for the same input data.  I have no reason to think
that this won't be the case, but it's not guaranteed.

Cheers,

E.
--
<Address HyTime=bibloc>
W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)