   Re: SAX and delayed entity loading

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • To: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@dns.isogen.com>, XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 14:02:59 -0500

At 12:48 PM 12/3/98 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>Unless I've misunderstood something, a MIME type is still an indirection to
>the definition of that MIME type. I.e., "text/xml" is a pointer to the RFC
>that establishes that MIME type. But then a problem is: where do I got to
>figure out what RFC a given MIME type maps to?  What if the MIME type is an
>"x-*" MIME type, what do I do then?

And what if the notation in the XML/SGML document I've got on my computer
references a proprietary standard or viewer that I don't have?  Same
useless data problem I had before...

Maybe genuinely extensible viewing _software_ will get us past this
thicket, but I don't think notations have any inherent advantages over MIME
types beyond their being a superset, allowing them to reference even more
lose-able resources.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer / Cookies
Sharing Bandwidth (December)