   Re: I am new to XML

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: 05 Dec 1998 23:46:21 +0100

* Rajeeva Indiketiya

| I was interested in finding a document formatting language that is
| not proprietary but allows to print on printers, show the exact
| document on a browser or store it so it can be stored/retrieved
| later. So I was told that SGML and or XML can define exact fonts,
| sizes and formatting commands and show the exact copy of a print out
| on a browser.

SGML and XML are usually used to separate the layout from the contents
of documents. This is useful for doing automated processing on your
documents (this may be far more useful than you initially think) and
also for keeping your documents readable for long periods of time.

(Can you read any of the word processing formats you used in 1986?
SGML documents from 1986 are still as readable as SGML documents from
yesterday.)

It sounds like you want PDF, but I think you should seriously consider
producing PDF from SGML/XML rather than storing your documents in some
unprocesseable format.

| Q2> Is there a book like Dummy's Guide to XML

Dummies Guide to XML exists, but whether it's a good idea to buy it is
another thing. I'll leave the recommendations to people who have
actually read some intro books.

| Q3> Can you give me some good WWW site references for XML

<URL:http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/>
<URL:http://www.xmlinfo.com/>

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev