   I am new to XML

  • From: Rajeeva Indiketiya <indiketr@churchill.co.uk>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 16:42:15 +0000 (GMT)

Hi All

I am from a document processing background. I used troff (a Unix document formatting tool) to define document. It was great but nobody support it any more. Then I looked at PostScript but then again it is not an ideal document formatting language although
 you could convert PostScript to PDF and show the document on a WEB browser. I looked in to HTML  but then you cannot publish documents and allow everybody to define what is Heading 1 <H1>.

I was interested in finding a document formatting language that is not proprietary but allows to print on printers, show the exact document on a browser or store it so it can be stored/retrieved later. So I was told that SGML and or XML can define exact f
onts, sizes and formatting commands and show the exact copy of a print out on a browser.

Q1> How true is the above statement.

Q2> Is there a book like Dummy's Guide to XML

Q3> Can you give me some good WWW site references for XML (W3C is not good for a begginer.)

Thank you

Rajeeva

                            \\\|///
                          \\  - -  //
                           (  @ @  )
    +--------------------oOOo-(_)-oOOo--------------------------+
    |      Rajeeva V Indiketiya, IT Dev, Churchill Insurance.   |
    |      E-mail : indiketr@churchill.co.uk                    |
    |      tel    : 0181 313 5691                               |
                          oooO   (   )
                           \_)
    Any views expressed are my own, and not those of my employer.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)