   ANNOUNCEMENT of Website "Chinese XML Now!"

  • From: "Rick Jelliffe" <ricko@allette.com.au>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>,"James Tauber" <jtauber@jtauber.com>,<robin@isogen.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:43:30 +1100

 "Chinese XML Now!" is a project at Academica Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan, to
help developers of Chinese XML software. The project Web site is
    http://www.ascc.net/xml/

The English-language version of this Web site is now available for use.
Chinese versions should be on-stream next week, in UTF-8, Big5 and GB2312.

The Website will feature:

* "The Chinese XML FAQ" about specific Chinese questions on XML;

*  a test page of targeted XML test files: these are all available in
UTF-8, Big5
and GB2312, and all these can be available as text/plain, text/xml and
application/xml
(these files are mainly English text: these files can be useful for
Western XML
as well); more text files will be added over the next few weeks;

* a special series of logos called "The Chinese Numberplate" which Western
software developers can add to their Web pages to advertise the encodings
supported  by their product: these can be linked back to standard Chinese
documentation at our site;

* a summary list of XML software which looks like it supports Chinese,
with useful developers comments;

* a list of links.

Anyone who is doing Chinese XML is welcome to participate. At this early
stage in the game, the intent of the site is primarily to provide useful
material
for Western developers: we want to make it easy for the first generation
of XML
tools to support Chinese. But as more XML activity grows on this side of
the
Pacific, we anticipate the site will become primarily targetted to
Chinese-language
people. Part of this may also involve creating or porting useful
utilities.

Academia Sinica is the leading Chinese research institution. It has many
projects
which will require Chinese XML in the near future. "Chinese XML Now!" is a
project to help develop XML infrastructure we can use and share.

Contacts for this project are:
    Rick Jelliffe:  ricko@gate.sinica.edu.tw
    Sidney Lu: lu@gate.sinica.edu.tw

Rick Jelliffe,