   RE: DTD-to-DB SCHEMA

  • From: lauzon@us.ibm.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 12:04:10 -0600

Thanks for all the response I got from this note.  Two of these
particularly look interesting.  One is the OIM from Microsoft that is
described by Thomas Bergstraesser, and the other is the Metadata
Interchange Specification (MDIS) from the Meta Data Coalition (MDC).

The MDIS seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for to describe
relational databases.  Unfortunately it doesn't really seem to be in XML,
although they do mention using XML to distribute these MDIS documents.  OIM
has been submitted to the MDC to become a standard, but it seems overly
complex for what we're trying to do, although that might be just because I
haven't had enough exposure to it.  What I'm not sure about is how
widespread support is for MDIS in the XML community, or if there is any
thought about it whatsoever.  Or is the trend for a standard based upon
OIM?

Shawn Lauzon
Department MMB - San Francisco Database Persistence
email: lauzon@us.ibm.com
phone: (507) 253-6966 T/L 553-6966

"Thomas Bergstraesser (Exchange)" <thomberg@exchange.microsoft.com> on
12/15/98 01:39:14 PM