   RE: DTD-to-DB SCHEMA

  • From: Dave Carlson <dcarlson@ontogenics.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 11:31:06 -0700

After a brief scan of Microsoft's site on OIM and the associated XML
Interchange Format (XIF), I'm concerned and confused about the conflicts
with the OMG's XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) specification.  XMI is in it's
second draft as a standard, and most of the large UML tools vendors have
voiced support (IBM, Platinum, Rational and Oracle are co-authors).

It appears that OIM and XIF are more focused on database and data warehouse
integration, but they also claim full UML metamodel support.  Currently, I'm
focused on OMG's XMI as the likely standard for UML model interchange.
However, I'm very interested on other opinions.

Dave Carlson
Ontogenics Corp.
Boulder, Colorado

At 12:04 PM 12/16/98 -0600, lauzon@us.ibm.com wrote:
>Thanks for all the response I got from this note.  Two of these
>particularly look interesting.  One is the OIM from Microsoft that is
>described by Thomas Bergstraesser, and the other is the Metadata
>Interchange Specification (MDIS) from the Meta Data Coalition (MDC).
>
>The MDIS seems to be almost exactly what I'm looking for to describe
>relational databases.  Unfortunately it doesn't really seem to be in XML,
>although they do mention using XML to distribute these MDIS documents.  OIM
>has been submitted to the MDC to become a standard, but it seems overly
>complex for what we're trying to do, although that might be just because I
>haven't had enough exposure to it.  What I'm not sure about is how
>widespread support is for MDIS in the XML community, or if there is any
>thought about it whatsoever.  Or is the trend for a standard based upon
>OIM?
>
>Shawn Lauzon
>Department MMB - San Francisco Database Persistence
>email: lauzon@us.ibm.com
>phone: (507) 253-6966 T/L 553-6966

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest