   RE: DTD-to-DB SCHEMA

  • From: "Michael Kay" <M.H.Kay@eng.icl.co.uk>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:05:08 -0000

> After a brief scan of Microsoft's site on OIM and the associated XML
> Interchange Format (XIF), I'm concerned and confused about the conflicts
> with the OMG's XML Metadata Interchange (XMI) specification.

There's also CDIF (Case Data Interchange Format) ( http://www.cdif.org )
though I've no idea of it's current status and can't get through to its web
site this morning. When I last looked CDIF were also doing an XML encoding
of UML models.

Do remember that there are at least 3 communities using the word "metadata"
in subtly different ways. In the classical database world it means
"information about types". In the document world it tends to mean
"information about document instances, other than their content". In the
data warehousing world it means (I think - correct me if I'm wrong)
information about the dimensions on which the data is organised, e.g. time,
geography, product categories.

Mike Kay

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest