   Re: Regulating the XML Marketplace

  • From: "Gerard Berthet" <gberthet@netcom.com>
  • To: "Shekhar Kshirsagar" <skshirsa@nortelnetworks.com>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 01:01:15 -0800

Easy it is, indeed! But the real business benefits will be in the
low life-cycle cost for app vendors to interoperate with other
third-party apps. Clearly, there is tremendous information
to be shared across heterogeneous apps. For example, how many apps have
the same person name in their database? the same equipment
identifier (IP address) in their database?

First, because so many apps duplicate the same information, add developers
would benefit tremendously from extracting the data from a single
recognized data provider (ERP app and SNMP platform respectively,
in the examples above). That done, the app vendor can then focus on adding
real value to its app.

XML makes this data exchange possible, but as was pointed out, this is
not revolutionary.

The biggest value XML brings is that, in the past, an app vendor was very
reluctant to support other vendor-proprietary APIs to support such data
exchange, not because it was not feasible, but because it was
cost-prohibitive.
Imagine an application having to interoperate with one or more app, each app
having a couple of releases in the market, each release on several UNIX
flavors & versions and MS platforms. A great deal of development resources
had to be allocated just to maintain the status-quo, constantly catching up
with the latest release. This model was fundamentally broken.

With XML, interoperability
is simpler for both data producers and consumers, and needs only to be
implemented
once for all apps and platforms, clearly relieving valuable
development resources to add real value to the app and eventually to the
end-user,
killer app or not.

That is, in my opinion, how XML will gain ground.
Regards,
Gerard