   RE: XML for dynamic content?

  • From: "Paul Butkiewicz" <arabbit@earthlink.net>
  • To: "Nigel Byrnes" <byrnes@prl.research.philips.com>, <xml-dev-digest@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:21:28 -0500

>Apart from the obvious, the question is what value does the intermediate
>XML-step buy us? Why should the hangman-developer want this intermediate
>XML-step? Does anyone have any comments on the use of XML in this
>context.

Well, I haven't done much web development in a while, but it seems like XML
in this scenario provides a good standard way of integrating the work done
by a developer writing the CGI to just return XML, and by someone who is
more inclined towards presentation issues.

But on a "dreaming" sort of note, suppose the client's browser was working
on the XML directly, either because the HTML was embedded with XML tags or
because the client's browser is working off of style sheets as well.
Wouldn't it be cool if you could somehow update just a fraction of the XML
document?  Suppose you could just retrieve the document element pertaining
to the hangman or the word (to borrow from your example) and just
re-retrieve that part of the document rather than the whole thing.  Wouldn't
that be cool?

Paul

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest