   Re: SAX: Next Round

  • From: <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:05:39 -0500 (EST)

Lars Marius Garshol writes:

 > | 2. Lexical Event Handler
 > | ------------------------
 > |
 > | What do we really need here?
 >
 > An event to signal the end of the internal subset would be nice, in
 > addition to what you listed.

You'd get that through the start/endExternalEntity event -- the
external subset is just a special entity, read after the internal
subset (we might want to use the special name '[dtd]' for it).

 > | Now, the best way to find out about namespace prefixes is to introduce
 > | a new handler interface:
 > |
 > |   public interface NamespaceHandler
 > |   {
 > |     public void startNamespacePrefix (String prefix, String uri)
 > |       throws SAXException;
 > |     public void endNamespacePrefix (String prefix)
 > |       throws SAXException;
 > |   }
 >
 > This looks slightly bothersome to me at first sight, but maybe it's
 > the way to go, since the solution I think best isn't backwards
 > compatible anyway:

SAX in general is designed to be bothersome, in part to encourage
people to build decent, friendly interfaces (SAXON, MDSAX,
DocuverseSDK, Sun's XML library) on top of it.  The idea is to defer
any design decisions that we can defer.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/