   RE: Word and XML (was: XML standards coherency and so forth)

  • From: Charles Frankston <cfranks@microsoft.com>
  • To: XML Dev <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 13:43:20 -0800

  broadcast system.

As some others on this thread have pointed out, the Office 2000 applications
do not claim to be using XML as a file format.  What they do support is HTML
as a "first-class" file save format, using embedded XML islands to describe
things (such as OfficeArt) that HTML cannot describe.  Steve Mohr's article
http://webdev.wrox.co.uk/resources/articles/xmlc/off2000.htm is a pretty
good description of how this is done.  "First-class" means that HTML is
considered co-equal in capabilities and importance to the "native" (e.g.
DOC, XLS, etc.) formats.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)