   Re: Why informal specs usually win

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 08:37:50 -0600

Michael.Kay@icl.com wrote:

> > "Since then, almost every author of books on new programming languages
> > used [BNF] to specify the syntax rules of the language."
> >
> The reality, unfortunately, is that almost every author has invented a new
> variant of BNF to specify the relevant syntax rules.

This is not a big problem because people can pick up the new E-BNFs quite
easily. If people implemented software by directly pasting the BNF into a
parser generator then that would be a bigger deal. Perhaps in the future
we will standardize EBNF and people will generate grammars directly. The
problem, of course, is that the EBNF in the standard is not optimized for
your parser generator's algorithm (and may not even be compatible with
it!). Standardizing EBNF would require a standardization of the underlying
algorithms.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

So what if one dark midnight less than a year from now, millions of
computers around the world suddenly grind to a halt? My computer grinds
to a halt several times a day. ... [Forget Y2K] We're ignoring a much
bigger bug problem that's hiding, well, right under our noses. Call it
the Y-Does-My-Computer-Crash-Three-Times-A-Day Problem.
	- http://www.upside.com/David_Futrelle/

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)