   Re: Why SAX needs namespace support

  • From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
  • To: <david@megginson.com>, "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 09:07:15 -0800

At 10:54 AM 1/26/99 -0500, david@megginson.com wrote:
>Despite my initial pessimistic predications (some of you might
>remember that I also predicted the imminent death of Linux back around
>1992 because of its monolithic kernel architecture), I am now
>confident that namespaces will succeed, and want some kind of
>namespace support in the next version of SAX.

Hey, that's nothin'.  I predicted that the Internet would collapse
every year between 1988 and 1993 inclusive.  Still looks shaky to me,
but you get tired of being wrong all the time.

Unlike David, I've decided the declaration-by-attribute with scoping
is a win; but whichever of us you agree with on that, he is 100% right
that namespaces has loads of applications, it seems like they're crawling
out of the woodwork for every one of my customers.  For those who are
using expat directly or via perl, it's already taken care of. -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)