   Re: Is XML dead already or what? Was: RE: What is XML for?

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 09:28:26 -0800

Tim, read the subsequent messages re file sizes and scalability.

I want to know this as much as you do. We did some very basic work in XML
starting in lat 1997, and our community ran with it. We have some very
knowledable and hard-working people working on Frontier. Especially look at
the Howson site and tell me what you think.

We're working up two sides of the same hill. I'm sure of it. I'm also sure
we haven't reached the nirvana that you're seeking. But if we're close, and
if there's value in what you want, let's go there.

Dave

At 09:16 AM 1/30/99 -0800, you wrote:
>At 06:47 AM 1/30/99 -0800, Dave Winer wrote:
>>We already have this. I hate it when people say things like "No one has a
>>good,
>>scalable solution for this now." We do. Are you supposed to be an expert on
>>this stuff or do you just like to hear yourself talk?
>
>Just to be specific; are you claiming that I can pump a terabyte or
>so of densely structured XML text with mixed content and so on, into
>Frontier, without having to do all sorts of hand-mapping elements and
>attributes to native data structures, and then handle many complex-search
>transactions and a few granular-update transactions per second?
>
>Just to make it clear, if Frontier *can* do this, it's the only piece
>of software in the world that can. -Tim

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)