   Re: Frontier as a scalable XML repository (was Re: Is XML dead already o

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 10:19:44 -0800

OK OK OK, I picked on you. Many apologies, seriously. It reflected a
frustration that the "XML Circuit" as I think of it makes grand statements
that I often feel are totally unsubstantiated.

We come from different worlds. Some of the things you ask for, we have, and
have had for many years. As a robust storage system with a deep programming
model, we're there. As an XML-storage system, we're there, but as I said in
a message a couple of days ago, I think that there's limited value in that.
I see XML as a way of specifying content that's best stored in the native
format, and emitted as HTML or XML when it needs to be communicated in some
way.

Yes, we've focused on the web, but others, who know more about document
management, have adopted Frontier and taken it into the world you know. I'm
going to try to get Paul Howson to join the discussion here. Listen to what
he says. He has strong opinions about XSL for example.

http://www.flexi.net.au/~tdg/xmltr/index.html

If you read one thing about Frontier, I hope you read Howson's site. I
believe he comes closest to speaking your language. As I said to Tim, we're
not sure what each other is doing. I think there's an intersection, and a
lot of stuff that can be done today that you think can't be done. It would
be a shame if you didn't incorporate that into your thinking.

Anyway, thanks for the list of questions. I'm saving it. It's a design for
a website that we should put up. But I don't want to shoot from the hip,
we'll put the time in and when we're ready I'll post a pointer here.

Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)