   Re: Frontier as a scalable XML repository (was Re: Is XML dead already

  • From: Dave Winer <dave@userland.com>
  • To: "W. Eliot Kimber" <eliot@dns.isogen.com>,"XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:17:19 -0800

You know, it was news to me that Tim Bray had a specific vision for an XML
system wants implemented. Is there a common vision here? If so, it would be
great to get together a set of narratives that described the nirvana XML
server and a set of user tools for writers and for readers. I'm not talking
about building the software, just scenarios. The pie in the sky
description, if it's in your respective heads, would be valuable if it were
on a website. Dave

At 05:15 PM 1/30/99 -0600, W. Eliot Kimber wrote:
>At 12:52 PM 1/30/99 -0500, David Megginson wrote:
>
>>In addition to these, workflow is highly desirable though not
>>absolutely required.  Others may want to add criteria that I missed.
>
>Dependency tracking. I normally work with the following types of
dependencies:

>1. Storage-object-to-storage-object (e.g., doc-to-doc)
>2. Use-by-reference relationships (re-use)
>3. Semantic-object-to-semantic-object (e.g, element-to-element)
>
>Note that I'm assuming that the repository understands and maintains the
>storage object organization of the data when it existed outside the
>repository (external text ("parsed") entities excepted--they are evil and
>should be expunged from human memory).
>
>These requirements are more than a simple where-used requirement, although
>the facilities you need to satisfy the general where-used requirement can
>be used to satisfy these requirements.
>
>Cheers,
>
>E.
>
>--
><Address HyTime=bibloc>
>W. Eliot Kimber, Senior Consulting SGML Engineer
>ISOGEN International Corp.
>2200 N. Lamar St., Suite 230, Dallas, TX 75202.  214.953.0004
>www.isogen.com
></Address>
>
>xml-dev: A list for W3C XML Developers. To post, mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
>Archived as: http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/hypermail/xml-dev/