   Expat API

  • From: Dave Slotter <slotter@maya.com>
  • To: XML Development <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 1999 15:40:40 -0500

Hi. I'm new to this list (just subscribed today) and searched the
archives on expat, but it failed to answer my question.

My question is: where is the documentation on how to use the expat
API? I downloaded version 1.0.2 and ported the code to run the sample
program on my Macintosh, but I'm pretty much dead in the water. I
tried sending email to the author (James Clark) twice in the last few
days, but I have so far failed to receive a response. The comments in
the header files do not seem to be sufficient.

What I am trying to do is parse some well-formed XML such as the
following example so that I can get the tags (which the example shows
me how to do) and then obtain the text.

-----

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="yes"?>

<DATAFILE>

<FOO ID="12345678">
  <NAME>cat</NAME>
  <TYPE>gray</TYPE>
</FOO>

</DATAFILE>

-----

For example, I would like to be able to obtain the <FOO> TAG as well
as the FOO ID (12345678), then the <NAME> tag along with the enclosed
text (cat) then the <TYPE> tag along with its enclosed text (gray).

However, the sample program only shows how to retrieve the tags.

If anyone has some example code, I would be grateful. If someone has
documentation, that would be appreciated as well.

-Dave Slotter

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)