   SAX and DTDHandler

  • From: MikeDacon@aol.com
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 1999 08:29:21 EST

Hi Everyone,

I've been playing around with SAX and several of the parser
implementations (primarily Sun's and IBM's).

The basics of DocumentHandler and ErrorHandler are
straight forward and work well.

The interfaces EntityResolver and DTDHandler are still fuzzy.
I've searched for documents on these but have not found anything
of any depth.

My primary question is will SAX allow me to parse a DTD?
It doesn't seem so.  DTDHandler only handles unparsed Entity declarations
(like binary data) and Notation declarations.  If it is the case that SAX does
not
parse DTDs due to the fact that it does not want to perform validation then
why bother with the above two cases?

I guess I don't understand the design philosophy in these respects.

All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

 - Mike
Michael C. Daconta
Author of Java 2 and JavaScript for C/C++ Programmers
Author of C++ Pointers and Dynamic Memory Management
Sun Certified Java Programmer and Developer
http://www.gosynergy.com

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)