   Re: ModSax Suggestion

  • From: MikeDacon@aol.com
  • To: b.laforge@jxml.com, xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 1999 08:13:27 EST

In a message dated 3/6/99 4:03:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, b.laforge@jxml.com
writes:
> Seems like a good fit for filters--drop what you don't
>  want, transform the rest as needed.

I think Bill has brought up an excellent point.  In fact, I like that
suggestion better than my setFeature() method.  It seems to me
that the central tension of API design is whether to expand the
API or relegate functionality to be handled by a higher-level layer
of software.

In my original suggestion, on getting access to a DOM it seems
appropriate that be part of SAX (a low-layer) while transforming
the resultant tree be relegated to a higher level layer.

While I have certainly written gobs of enterprise level software,
my experience with formal APIs is limited -- does this track with
those of you with more API building experience?

Best wishes,

 - Mike

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest