   Re: ModSax Suggestion

  • From: David Brownell <db@eng.sun.com>
  • To: MikeDacon@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 1999 21:30:34 -0800

> > 	Interesting suggestion for a big hole in the parts of
> >  the Java API set that are more or less "standard" at
> >  this poit -- SAX and DOM.
> >
> >  One comment though:  I've found that it's important to
> >  be able to have options controlling how the DOM tree is
> >  built.  For example, whether to discard ignorable spaces,
> >  or do namespace conformance enforcement, or try to get
> >  CDATA sections (comments, etc).
> >

> I agree with that.  I think all that is possible while still retaining
> a minimalist design philosophy. [deletia]
>
> That way via an extensible common set of text properties we
> can add properties as the need arises without expanding the API.

I've always liked the idea of filters in the SAX event chain.
As Bill la Forge (and you) noted, that's a fine way to address that
general issue.  One can overdo layers, of course, and pay for it
in performance.  But filters are a good architectural notion, and
there's been lots of discussion about how to use them well with
SAX and DOM.

That does imply keeping DOM out of the basic parser API, which
I still think is the best way to go.  An event generator (say,
a SAX parser, or something walking a DOM tree) can have its
events filtered, and delivered to acomponent building a DOM tree.

> Looking forward to progress on the Java XML API.  BTW, Dave,
> are you going to do a "Birds of a Feather" session on XML at this years
> JavaOne?  I think that could be valuable.

I may be signed up for more than that this time...

A BOF on XML -- an XML-DEV BOF! -- would be lots of fun.
Some of the folk here have never met in person.  I think
there will be lots of interesting applications to talk
about ... and probably some interesting frameworks.

- Dave

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)