   Re: SAX RFD: ModSAX Predefined Features

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 08 Mar 1999 11:28:52 +0100

* David Megginson

| The value of featureID will in some way piggyback on DNS, either by
| using URIs or by using names similar to Java packages.

I think we should use package-like names.  Using protocol prefixes
seems to me both potentially confusing, slightly obfuscating and I
don't see the merit in it over a package-like scheme.

I much prefer org.xml.sax.features.validation over
http://xml.org/sax/features/validation.

| 2. http://xml.org/sax/features/external-entities

I agree with James that separating general entities and parameter
entities is a good idea.

| 4. http://xml.org/sax/features/unbuffered-input

I'm not sure I see the merit of this. Maybe we should skip this?

A suggestion of my own:

org.xml.sax.features.catalog

True means read the default catalog file, whether that is located via
an environment variable, a Java property or something else.  OpenXML,
XML Parser for Java (xml4j) and xmlproc already support catalogs, and
might find this useful.  xmlproc certainly will.

| No SAX parsers will be *required* to support any of these -- they
| can simply throw a SAXNotSupportedException for any request

I also agree with James that a separate unrecognized-exception is a
good idea.

| Unlike parsers, filters will ordinarily pass unrecognised feature
| requests on up the chain of responsibility.

Good point. This implies that filters need references in both
directions, that is, both to the event source and to the event
receiver, thus resolving a question that was previously discussed
here.

| [1] http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/archives/xml-dev/9902/0627.html

Hmmm. Wouldn't this reference be more correct?

<URL:http://www.lists.ic.ac.uk/archives/xml-dev/9902/0645.html>

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest