   Re: SAX RFD: ModSAX Predefined Features

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: 08 Mar 1999 11:39:35 +0100

* Bill la Forge

| The upgrade needs to be worth doing, but for more than one reason.

I agree that it needs to be worth doing, but to me what has been
proposed here certainly sounds like it is enough. (Remember, parameter
setting, handler extensibility, filters, namespaces, lexical
information and DTD information are probably all in the pipeline.)

| I'm sure you know the kinds of things I'm looking for:
|     o  Event objects for one.

On this point I agree with what David will probably say: this belongs
on a higher level. If you want this functionality, make a value-adding
layer on top of SAX 1.1. There's no loss in that, since you can
implement this once for all SAX-aware parsers with hardly any
performance penalties. (This is why I agree with David: this is the
kind of benefit that being ultra low-level buys us.)

|     o  A way to specify a filter to a DOM-building-parser is another.

We certainly need this, but I don't see how this can usefully be part
of SAX.  SAX is at a lower level than the DOM and so should certainly
be designed for a DOM layer to fit nicely on top, but there should be
no dependencies, I think.

In other words, this is something that either the DOM or the parsers
will have to deal with in a sensible fashion. Taking a ModParser as an
argument to DOM building would perhaps be the best way to do this.

However, I don't see the harm in someone sitting down to write a
recommendation to DOM parser writers for how to do this and why it's
useful.

| So that's why I'm butting in here. I think an open standards process
| is important for individuals and small companies. We need to do what
| we can to keep the ball rolling here.

We are certainly in heartfelt agreement here. :)

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)