   Re: SAX RFD: ModSAX Predefined Features

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 06:28:53 -0500 (EST)

MikeDacon@aol.com writes:

 > I like the idea of SAX filters but still feel that you should allow
 > access to a DOM Document if the implementing Parser can supply one.
 > I won't restate the suggestion here as it was covered in a previous
 > email.  However; that could greatly simplify a filter-writer's job.

I have an idea for how we can handle that (and other, similar
problems), but I'll cover it in a separate posting (it's still brewing
a bit).

 > Since some finite set of SAX features will not approach a global naming
 > problem, I strongly urge not to use a URI.

I disagree here -- if third parties want to be able to define feature
names, they need a way to avoid collision (i.e. we want to make
certain that both Oracle and Sun can define properties like
'normalize' without blowing up the whole system).

That said, the Java package naming scheme also provides DNS-based
uniqueness, as in 'org.xml.sax.features.validation'.  It's simply a
matter of taste:

- org.xml.sax.features.validation is more of a Java flavour.

- http://xml.org/sax/features/validation is more of an XML/Namespaces
  flavour

All the best,

David