   Re: SAX RFD: ModSAX Predefined Features

  • From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
  • To: XML Developers' List <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:12:55 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, David Megginson wrote:

> MikeDacon@aol.com writes:

>  > Since some finite set of SAX features will not approach a global naming
>  > problem, I strongly urge not to use a URI.
>
> I disagree here -- if third parties want to be able to define feature
> names, they need a way to avoid collision (i.e. we want to make
> certain that both Oracle and Sun can define properties like
> 'normalize' without blowing up the whole system).
>
> That said, the Java package naming scheme also provides DNS-based
> uniqueness, as in 'org.xml.sax.features.validation'.  It's simply a
> matter of taste:
>
> - org.xml.sax.features.validation is more of a Java flavour.

Yep... but might not feel so natural for developers working with
versions of SAX translated for Perl, Python and so on.

> - http://xml.org/sax/features/validation is more of an XML/Namespaces
>   flavour

...and RDF [1]. Giving interesting entities URIs makes them more
fully a part of the Web, and means we can take advantage of
URI-oriented metadata. Eg. you might search a software database for
resources that were of type 'Perl Module' and that implemented the
feature  known as 'http://xml.org/sax/features/validation'. (There's
already a Linux Packages Database[2] along similar lines...). I'm not
claiming that this would be impossible using the Java naming scheme,
just that a Web oriented approach might make it easier to do certain
things...

Dan

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax
[2] http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpmfind/