   Re: SAX: ModSAX addition, general property query

  • From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 1999 23:17:50 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999 MikeDacon@aol.com wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> In a message dated 3/8/99 5:38:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> david@megginson.com writes:
> > Think of the URI a statement of ownership.  Assume that my ISP is
> >  host.net, and that I've been allocated 5MB of web space at
> >  http://host.net/foo/.
> >

> This is the primary reason I disagree with using a URI.

> A feature is not a resource.

Software features aren't files, nor are they HTML pages, but they are
'resources' as defined in RFC2396 and as used in the XML Namespaces and
RDF recommendations from W3C.

I'm getting *really* boring on this topic... ;-)

>From RFC2396 (online at http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2396.txt)

	A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact string of
	characters for identifying an abstract or physical resource.
[...]
      Resource
         A resource can be anything that has identity.  Familiar
         examples include an electronic document, an image, a service
         (e.g., "today's weather report for Los Angeles"), and a
         collection of other resources.  Not all resources are network
         "retrievable"; e.g., human beings, corporations, and bound
         books in a library can also be considered resources.

         The resource is the conceptual mapping to an entity or set of
         entities, not necessarily the entity which corresponds to that
         mapping at any particular instance in time.

>			Also, a standard interface to a set
> of features is not the place to invoke ownership priviledges.

You can own (or manage) the name for the feature though. Javasoft own
all the URIs beginning 'java:java.lang.*'; I own the URIs beginning
'java:org.desire.rudolf.rdf.*'. These can name classes or interfaces
others might implement.

Dan

> You can't own a feature that you expect others to implement.
>
> Unless I am not getting your idea of a feature, your logic seems
> incorrect.
>
> Interesting discussion and process (well worth it),
>
>  - Mike (mdaconta@aol.com)

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)