   Re: ModSAX: Proposed Core Properties

  • From: MikeDacon@aol.com
  • To: david@megginson.com
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 1999 21:36:38 EST

Hi David,

david@megginson.com writes:
> http://xml.org/sax/properties/dom-node <Node> (read-only)
>    Get the DOM node currently being visited, if the SAX parser is
>    iterating over a DOM tree.  If the parser recognises and supports
>    this property but is not currently visiting a DOM node, it should
>    return null (this is a good way to check for availability before the
>    parse begins).

This has made me realize that I was under a misconception about
what the generic get() and set() parser properties would provide in
terms of functionality.  What I was really hoping for was:

org.w3c.dom.Document  parse(InputSource  is, boolean events) throws
SAXException;
org.w3c.dom.Document  parse(java.lang.String uri, boolean events) throws
SAXException;
/* the events boolean would be to turn on/off event calls. */

Which would allow me to code:
try
{
     ModParser mp = ParserFactory.makeModParser();
     boolean supported = true;
     try
     {
             mp.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/dom-result", true);
     }  catch (SAXNotSupportedException snse) { supported = false; }

     if (supported)
     {
          Document d = mp.parse("test.xml", false);
          // ... process Document
     }
} catch (SAXException se)
  {
      // handle it
  }

So, what I'm saying is that I would like to be able to choose
whether to interface to the Parser via events or via a DOM.
If you agree with this, I believe using the return type is more
appropriate than getting a resultant property (as I suggest next).

If for some reason the above is not palatable, the same could be
accomplished under the current scheme if we added a
property:

http://xml.org/sax/properties/dom-document <org.w3c.dom.Document> (read-only)

Then I could code:

try
{
             mp.setFeature("http://xml.org/sax/features/dom-capable", true);
     }  catch (SAXNotSupportedException snse) { supported = false; }

     if (supported)
     {
          mp.parse("test.xml");
	    Document d = (Document) mp.get("http://xml.org/sax/properties/dom-
document");
          // ... process Document
     }
} catch (SAXException se)
  {
      // handle it
  }

Note: both code examples also required an added feature to check
for the desired functionality.

I believe the above is sorely missing from the current API.  Does
anyone else see a need for this?  If not, why not?  But before you
say, "build a layer on top of SAX" -- to me that seems ridiculous when most
of the Parser implementations can produce a dom Document.

Best wishes,

 - Mike (mdaconta@aol.com)

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest