   Re: ModSAX: Proposed Core Properties

  • From: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:28:37 -0500 (EST)

MikeDacon@aol.com writes:

 > So, what I'm saying is that I would like to be able to choose
 > whether to interface to the Parser via events or via a DOM.  If you
 > agree with this, I believe using the return type is more
 > appropriate than getting a resultant property (as I suggest next).

This is easy enough to build on top of SAX, but I think that it's
probably out of scope for SAX itself.  SAX is meant to be a relatively
simple, low-level layer that people can build on.

 > If for some reason the above is not palatable, the same could be
 > accomplished under the current scheme if we added a
 > property:
 >
 > http://xml.org/sax/properties/dom-document <org.w3c.dom.Document> (read-only)

The nice thing about ModSAX is that you're free to try this yourself
-- just define a property like

  http://www.aol.com/mdaconta/props/dom-document

(or whatever URL you can use based on your AOL account) and let the
market decide whether to support it.  Perhaps one of the people who
has written a higher-level utility package that supports both SAX and
DOM would like to use this or something like it.

All the best,

David

           http://www.megginson.com/

(un)subscribe xml-dev