   Re: SAX RFD: ModSAX Predefined Features

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 10 Mar 1999 13:04:59 +0100

* David Megginson

| http://xml.org/sax/features/normalize-text

* David Brownell

| This is a good filter feature, I think.

I agree.

| Lars suggested a "Catalog" feature.  There are different sorts of
| catalog, and they need configuration, so the value of this could be
| a URI for the catalog, not just a boolean.

There should be a catalog parameter as well, but the reason I proposed
this as a feature rather than just as a parameter is that SP and
xmlproc both allow you to use environment variables to point to a
default catalog file, which is rather handy.

So it would definitely be useful to be able to tell the parser, go
read the default catalog, wherever it is. (Or don't.) Java parsers
could use a Java property to achieve the same thing.

BTW: I'm surprised that David Megginson hasn't replied to this.
     David, Some kind of confirmation that you've at least seen this
     would be welcome. (I know majordomo isn't 100% trustworthy, so it
     might have disappeared on the way.)

| Plus, this would seem to be up to the "EntityResolver" to handle
| ... yes?

Sort of. You could make a parser filter that used an entity resolver
to do this in general. xmlproc has an internal PubIdResolver interface
which it uses for this (and which is also exposed as the
EntityResolver when using SAX).

| It'd perhaps suggest that one could ask the next filter in the
| stream for the resolver it was using ... :-)

Hmmm. This is actually potentially troubling, since one would need to
specify how a catalog EntityResolver and a custom one specified to be
used together should work.

--Lars M.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest