   Re: DOM Implemetation in C?

  • From: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@ifi.uio.no>
  • To: "XML Dev" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: 21 Mar 1999 18:38:55 +0100

* Rick Jelliffe

| There is a technical problem that CORBA IDL mappings do not (as far
| as I can see) provide C mappings to let us know how to create
| objects,

This is correct, but I don't see it as a technical problem. IDL only
describes interfaces, and since these may be implemented in a huge
number of ways it is in general impossible to know exactly what data
they need at creation time.

In general I think one should be very careful with declaring
constructors on classes/interfaces that may have more than one
implementation, as it often leads to painful unnecessary
cross-dependencies.

In particular, having constructors on interfaces may cause trouble
when a class implements two different interfaces at the same time.

Java interfaces can't have constructors for (I assume) exactly the
same reasons.

| but it seems that DOM (or, at least, DOM users) require object
| creation and finalization.

Well, the Document interface provides operations to deal with
creation. As for finalization, all CORBA object references have a
'release' operation which can be used to do finalization. Do you think
these are insufficient?

--Lars M. (not an IDL->C guru :)

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest