   IE5 totally ignores Content-Type was RE: IE5.0 does not conform to RFC23

  • From: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@mediaone.net>
  • To: "MURATA Makoto" <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>, <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 19:34:31 -0500

> I believe that IE 5.0 does not conform to RFC2376 (XML Media Types),
> of which I am a co-author.
>
> As for the XML media type "text/xml", the charset parameter in the
> MIME header is authoritative.  Encoding declarations have to be ignored
> so that transcoding is possible.
>
> However, IE 5.0 appears to always ignore the charset parameter and use
> the BOM or encoding declaration only.  Therefore, IE 5.0 does not
> conform to
> RFC 2376.

	The release version of IE5 is *totally* ignoring the content-type of many
files returned via ASP for me (including text/plain) ... I think it is just
broken... for example my XMTP app worked correctly under IE5b2 ... now to my
dismay it is broken under IE5 release see: http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net and
browse the XMTP board.

Jonathan Borden
http://jabr.ne.mediaone.net