   Re: IE5.0 does not conform to RFC2376

  • From: MURATA Makoto <murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp>
  • To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 11:17:03 +0900

Chris Lilley wrote:
> > Unfortunately this is a side effect of the rules for the media type
> > "text/*", which says that the default value of "charset" is always US-ASCII.
>
> The default rules if no other rule is in place for a specific Media
> type. The registration for text/xml can overridfe this behaviour if it
> wishes to.

HTTP/1.1 (RFC2068 and the latest "Draft Standard") quite clearly says:

   The "charset" parameter is used with some media types to define the
   character set (section 3.4) of the data. When no explicit charset
   parameter is provided by the sender, media subtypes of the "text"
   type are defined to have a default charset value of "ISO-8859-1" when
   received via HTTP. Data in character sets other than "ISO-8859-1" or
   its subsets MUST be labeled with an appropriate charset value.

Here, the default is 8859-1 ;-(

The latest I-D for RFC2376 also said that the default is 8859-1 when the XML
document is being tramsmitted by HTTP.  However, the IESG requested  US-ASCII
as the default.

Chris Lilley wrote:
> So, in consequence: example file such as the Chinese XML examples at
> http://xml.ascc.net/xml/test/index.html (where each example is available
> in
> UTF-8, Big5 and GB2312, all correctly labelled in the XML encoding
> declaration) are now sets of invalid XML files which are required to
> produce a critical error because of the invalid byte sequences in what
> is now described as a US-ASCII file?

Yes.  Conformant XML parsers must report a fatal error.  This is great since
non-conformant data can always be detected.

Examples of conformant XML documents are available at:
http://www.fxis.co.jp/DMS/sgml/xml/charset/

Cheers,

Makoto

Fuji Xerox Information Systems

Tel: +81-44-812-7230   Fax: +81-44-812-7231
E-mail: murata@apsdc.ksp.fujixerox.co.jp

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)