   Re: XML and (K)Office

  • From: "Ingo Macherius" <macherius@darmstadt.gmd.de>
  • To: David Megginson <david@megginson.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 00:01:20 +0100

David Megginson <david@megginson.com> wrote at 24 Mar 99, 17:02:

> There's also a hot rumour [3] that Microsoft has assigned 37
> programmers to work on a Linux port of MS Office.

I was very surprised by David Megginsons note that MS is porting
Office. In the hope not to infringe copyrights, here is a partial
translation of the "Heise newsticker" article. C't can be considered
one of (if not the) leading computer magazines in German.

	++im

--- snip --
Rumours are out for a while, but for the first time there are
indications: Microsoft is porting their popular Office suite to
Linux. c't [1] was told from good authority, that there was a
project formed in Redmond. Following the source there are 37
developers working on the port of Office to Linux.

It's expected, that Microsoft will announce the activity during
CeBIT [2] and will give a time schedule for completation. [...]

[1] http://www.heise.de/ct/
[2] http://www.cebit.de/
--- snip ---

--
Ingo Macherius//Dolivostrasse 15//D-64293 Darmstadt//+49-6151-869-882
GMD-IPSI German National Research Center for Information Technology

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)