   Re: XML and (K)Office

  • From: Chris Maden <crism@oreilly.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 09:48:15 -0500 (EST)

[Ingo Macherius]
> David Megginson <david@megginson.com> wrote at 24 Mar 99, 17:02:
>
> > There's also a hot rumour [3] that Microsoft has assigned 37
> > programmers to work on a Linux port of MS Office.

Soem quick research on slashdot shows the rumor's evolution.  The
first sighting appears to be on ZDnet; they reported that Simson
Garfinkle, a _Boston Globe_ columnist and technology writer, mentioned
on a radio show that he was in correspondence with some of the
developers.  But even if that's true, I can think of a number of
reasons why Microsoft might be doing a port internally with no
intentions whatsoever of releasing it.  The ZDnet article notes that
Office relies heavily on MS's undocumented Win32 API calls, and just
porting the app to the standard API calls which could then be handled
in emulation on Linux would be a major chore.  Some URLs:

   Linkname: Slashdot:Search

   Linkname: Slashdot:MS Office for Linux

   Linkname: ZDNN: MS porting Office to Linux?

-Chris

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)