   RE: XML-QL (was Re: Whence XQL?) (Ok Whither XQL, Dave)

  • From: Ed Howland <Ed@dega.com>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:01:41 -0800

I took a deeper look at XML-QL and at first glance, it appears to be a
stronger syntax. I'm happy that AT&T chose Java to implement a prototype
implementation. I'm hoping I can embed the engine in my Java code.

The XQL syntax is rather cryptic, but familiar to XSL writers, and seems to
have the benefit of being embeddable. The XQL authors chose to leave source
and destination streams and formats up to implementers. These two things
appealed to me initially. I could embed an XQL engine in a Java servlet and
send it querys from ECMAScript. Internally, it makes a DOM tree which could
be transformed via XSL before being returned to the browser. Since all of
these pieces were in Java it seemed a powerful combination. (I know that
some things can be done in XSL, but I needed some of the extensions that XQL
provided.)

BTW, how do you get at the XQL part of IE5? I never saw that in MS's
writeup. Or is it just extensions to their XSL?

In the meantime, while looking at XML-QL for our short term needs, I'll
continue to work on XQL using Java and ANTLR. For now that is taking two
concurrant directions: The full XQL ANTLR grammer will proceed as usual
producing, eventually a parser that while it recognizes valid XQL, does
nothing more than genrate a abstract syntax tree. The other direction is to
generate a valid subset that actually parses, works on an internal DOM tree
genreated via XML4J, and outputs XML. The first cut of this will only do
path expressions of the form:

	element/*/sub-element//leaf-element

Ed

P.S. I found it funny that Roger's example data closely matches my own. Onw
wonders...

Ed Howland
ed@dega.com
http://www.dega.com
"As your attorney, I advise you to take some adrenalchrome"