   RE: SAX2 RFD: LexicalHandler draft v.1.1

  • From: "Gavin Thomas Nicol" <gtn@eps.inso.com>
  • To: "'Ronald Bourret'" <rbourret@ito.tu-darmstadt.de>, "'XML Developers' List'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 14:12:39 -0500

> > Gavin summed it up quite well - the author used a CDATA Section and
> > may have attached some semantic meaning to it (I know that several
> > people disagree that CDATA sections can have semantic meaning;
> > others think they can) so the DOM doesn't throw away that
> > distinction, just in case.
>
> I'm having trouble imagining how a CDATA section can have
> semantic meaning in all but the most abusive ways.  (Hmmm, there's a CDATA
> section.  Fire up the pizza delivery DLL.)  Could you give an example?
Thanks.

Not necessarily a semantic,  but certainly an *intent*. The example given
earlier was pretty good. You're writing a tutorial on HTML or some
programming language, and as a convention, and as a convenience, you put
all examples in CDATA sections. This makes it easy to edit *and* easy
to extract your examples.

Like Lauren, I am not saying that think CDATA sections are necessary or not,
simply that some people really do want them.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest
List coordinator, Henry Rzepa (mailto:rzepa@ic.ac.uk)