   Re: Modified DTDDeclHandler

  • From: "Bill la Forge" <b.laforge@jxml.com>
  • To: "Ronald Bourret" <rbourret@ito.tu-darmstadt.de>, "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Mar 1999 12:44:48 -0500

From: Ronald Bourret <rbourret@ito.tu-darmstadt.de>
>Is it worth distinguishing between elements that can only contain PCDATA
>and elements that can contain both PCDATA and subelements?  I realize that
>the XML spec doesn't have separate terms for these, but in real life they
>are very different.  A PCDATA-only element is very close to an attribute,
>while an element containg PCDATA and elements is a very different beast
>altogether.

One advantage of not making the distinction is that you subsequently have a greater
freedom to qualify the data held by an element by adding child elements--one of the
advantages of content over attributes.

As an programmer, I agree with you. I'd like the distinction. But when I think about how
an application might mature with time, I'd rather the implementation not make that
distinction!

Bill

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest