   Re: Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

  • From: "Anders W. Tell" <anderst@toolsmiths.se>
  • To: "Stephen D. Williams" <sdw@lig.net>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:41:07 +0100

"Stephen D. Williams" wrote:

> I agree.  I feel they can be solved with a similar solution in at least some circumstances.
> Rather there are some straightforward ways to acheive compression that actually make
> efficiency worse while some solutions for efficiency also make compression easier.
>
> In fact there are a number of levels you could go with compression:
>
> optional gzip/bzip2 possibly preceded by:

For small to medium size streams will the gzip/bzip2 step probably take longer time
to complete than the savings in communications time. Of cource this also depends on
the network speed.

> Dictionary compression (various forms of building a list of commonly used terms or all terms
> in the current document/stream or some combination)

This is probably the best first action to take when needing to compress a ML stream.

Its also possible to combine Dictionaries with "Sessions". ie: two communication
nodes could establish a Session which contains pre negotiated Dictionaries, which
means that Dictionary content have to be sent over the wire only once. All "Packets"
thereafter references the dictionaries.
This is what I do in FML , however I have no estimates of how much space is actualy saved.

/Anders
--
/  Financial Toolsmiths AB  /

(un)subscribe xml-dev