   Re: SAX2: Proposed alternative DTD interface

  • From: MikeDacon@aol.com
  • To: david@megginson.com
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:06:06 EST

Hi David,

In a message dated 3/26/99 5:31:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
david@megginson.com writes:
> Here's another alternative for SAX2: forget about trying to report DTD
>  declarations as events, and simply make the whole DTD available
>  through an interface with a Parser2.get() call.

Although most DTDs will be short, it seems that the event-based
interface will still be beneficial for large DTDs and small-footprint
applications that
cannot afford the memory of receiving the entire DTD implementation object.

I think the best alternative is to allow both options, and you just
don't set a handler if you want to ignore the events.

Which leads me back to my wish list for...

  try {
    Document doc = (Document)parser.get("http://xml.org/sax/props/dom");
  } catch (SAXNotSupportedException e) {
    // ...
  }

Which follows from the same logic.  Sometimes you want an
event-based interface and sometimes you just want the resulting
object -- a Simple API for XML should cover both cases.

Best wishes,

 - Mike  { www.gosynergy.com }

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest