   xhtml and the p tag

  • From: "Mark D. Anderson" <mda@discerning.com>
  • To: "XML List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 1999 15:49:59 -0800

(not sure where xhtml discussion should go; all i see on the www-html@w3.org
list are stultifying discussions about tag case-sensitivity.)

in the strict dtd from http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-html-in-xml/ ,
the p element is %Inline, which means it can't include any
block level elements such as ul. So now we have a quandary.

in practical terms, what i usually want is something
like a non-existent <parabreak/>. That doesn't exist, because
in browsers a <br/> breaks the line; it doesn't end the
paragraph, and particularly now with xhtml, <p/> is
deprecated. But even if I *did* the extra work to wrap
work, because a p can't enclose any block level elements
such as a ul.

-mda

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest