   RE: Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

  • From: Kay Michael <Michael.Kay@icl.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 10:15:02 +0100

Title: RE: Is there anyone working on a binary version of XML?

> I have come to feel however that there is room for a
> "works-as-if" binary analogue to text based XML.

I did various experiments with this a while back. I tried a serialised SAX event stream, a simple canonicalisation and transcoding in which the special characters like "<" were replaced with octet values <x20, a Java serialisation of the DOM, etc. None gave a worthwhile saving over a stright reparsing of the original XML text stream, in fact most performed worse. So I gave up.

Mike Kay