   RE: Webdeveloper article on MS-XML in Office 2000....

  • From: Mark Birbeck <Mark.Birbeck@iedigital.net>
  • To: "'xml-dev@ic.ac.uk'" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 16:09:20 +0100

Could look at it another way and say that now anyone can create a file
that could be edited or viewed by MS tools. For example, you could have
a database of information that is exported as XML and then pushed
through one stylesheet to make it viewable by MS PowerPoint, and another
to make it editable by MS Word. And of course there's no reason why you
couldn't use another stylesheet to edit the relevant data in a Lotus
spreadsheet. None of these applications need even exist on the web
server. (I thought open file formats and structures was one of the goals
of XML.)

BTW, it would save a lot of time if someone came up with a stylesheet
that transforms everything into a conspiracy theory. I could then save
space on my hard-drive by just storing the original news item, and then
just use the stylesheet to 'view' the conspiracy theory when I needed
to. ;)

Regards,

Mark

mailto:xml-dev@ic.ac.uk