   Re: XSL as XML transformation

  • From: "John E. Simpson" <simpson@polaris.net>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 13:45:40 -0400

At 04:39 PM 4/8/1999 +0100, Leigh Dodds wrote:
>I've been reading through the XSL spec and I noticed that it
>mentions that XSL could be used as an XML transformation mechanism
>as the result tree need not use the formatting vocabulary.
>
>Does this mean that its possible to use XSL to do transformation
>from one XML document type to another? If so are there any gotchas
>that I should be concerned with?

Yes, you can do that with XSL. Gotchas (other than understanding everything
you can about the structures of both the source and the result tree :),
well, just make sure your namespace declarations ensure that the result
tree's elements won't be prefixed. (That is, if your result tree's DTD --
if one -- includes a <link> tag, you don't want the transformation to emit
something like <result:link>.) Oh, and use James Clark's xt for the
transformation.

Also, I think SAXON can output 2 (or more?) separate result trees, so you
might want to take a look at it's XSL capabilities as well.
John E. Simpson          | It's no disgrace t'be poor,
simpson@polaris.net      | but it might as well be.
                         |            -- "Kin" Hubbard

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest