   style standards (was Congrats Jon Bosak and Tim Bray)

  • From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:48:51 -0400

At 11:28 AM 4/14/99 -0400, Bob DuCharme wrote:
>>Nice article, though once again CSS is ignored and the strange new
>creature
>>known as XSL is promoted as "The standard now being developed for XML
>>stylesheets", a misuse of the definite article 'the'.
>
>Considering the qualifier following the definite article, either they
>did use the definite article properly or CSS is "now being developed."
>Since CSS2 is a Recommendation, I assume you're referring to CSS3, but I
>couldn't find anything about it on www.w3.org. Where can I find out
>more?

CSS is:

a) a standard (in as much as anything W3C is a standard)
b) still in continuing development, according to various sources on
XSL-list and www-styles

It's entirely possible that CSS is dead and XSL is the only road forward
for XML, but if that's so, the W3C is being awfully quiet about it.  All
that business about them 'not competing', etc.

And CSS is quite definitely for XML as well as HTML - the styles area at
the W3C and the CSS2 Rec make that _very_ clear.

Simon St.Laurent
XML: A Primer
Sharing Bandwidth / Cookies
http://www.simonstl.com