   Re: Megginson and XMLNews

  • From: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
  • To: "XML Developers' List" <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 13:42:10 -0500

Walter Underwood wrote:

> It probably gets us all the way there if the elements are used
> the same way. This doesn't require any formal equivalence between
> names, just a convention that things named the same work the
> same. In other words, a SmallTalk object protocol is sufficient
> here; there is no necessity for Java's Interface type. Other tools
> may find that useful, but it is not necessary for search engines.

Company A has a document type for encoding information conforming to their
domain (e.g. "author"). Company B has another document type that uses
different names (e.g. "creator"). They merge. Now we need to do searches
of both repositories despite the fact that things are named and even
structured differently in the two repositories. This strikes me as the
sort of problem that a robust search engine should solve.

 http://itrc.uwaterloo.ca/~papresco

By lumping computers and televisions together, as if they exerted a
single malign influence, pessimists have tried to argue that the
electronic revolution spells the end of the sort of literate culture
that began with Gutenberg’s press. On several counts, that now seems
the reverse of the truth.

http://www.economist.com/editorial/freeforall/19-12-98/index_xm0015.html

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest