   RE: DOM - Creating Documents

  • From: Leigh Dodds <ldodds@ingenta.com>
  • To: xml-dev@ic.ac.uk
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 12:41:38 +0100

> The problem is that, in the abscence of the whole
> CORBA infrastructure, there's no way getting hold of a
> concrete instance of a CORBA interface (unless you've
> already got one that defines a factory method ... but
> then we're on the first step of an infinite regress).

Erm, so you're saying that

interface Document : Node {
	Document	createDocument{} raises {DOMException}
}

isn't valid CORBA syntax and so thats why its not been
included?

Surely the use of IDL is to provide a clear language
neutral specification and not limit that specification
in anyway, nor tie it to a CORBA infrastructure. The
OpenXML parser, and the SAXON interface mentioned
in an earlier post, both manage to create new Document
instances so obviously there is a means of doing it.

Are potential implementation difficulties actually
driving the format of the specification (i.e. interface).
Seems a roundabout way of doing it if it is.

Perhaps I'm missing something.

L.

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest