   Re: PI target names

  • From: "Don Park" <donpark@quake.net>
  • To: <xml-dev@ic.ac.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 01:49:28 -0700

> One can wonder why PIs were specified in the first place, if W3C doesn't
> want anyone to use them.

What I would like to know is WHY W3C does not want to encourage folks to use
PI.  Perhaps I'll agree with them once I hear all the arguments, perhaps
not.  I would like to know what the arguments are.

If it is just compatibility with HTML browsers, I think it is wrong.  As far
as I am concerned, it takes only two engineers (one from Microsoft and one
from Netscape) to make HTML browsers support PI.  By the time XHTML becomes
available for general use, we'll likely be looking at IE 6 and NS 6.  Legacy
browsers can be supported with patches.

Don

(un)subscribe xml-dev
subscribe xml-dev-digest